August 6, 2011

{ Off the Hook }

I found this frame in someones trash in my friend's neighborhood.  I had it sitting in my garage for about 2 years before I decided to pull it out and finally do something with it.  It was originally black and gold and fancy looking. Much to fancy for my casual new family room.  I decided to put a board that I cut to the right size and I painted with 8 coats of chalkboard paint.
I then painted the frame with leftover paint from another project. The old finish started to kind of bleed through as I was doing it, so I wiped some of the paint off with a rag. I really liked how it brought out the details and turned out to be more of a wash. Some of the crackling and black showed through.

My sister Jamie and I hung hooks below so the kids could hang their backpacks and I could hang my purse. We made sure to use really good anchors so they would be able to hold the weight of heavy backpacks. This hallway is right as you come in from the garage so it is a perfect spot to drop everything!

Jamie added the colorful pendant banner out of colored chalk and we put a little bucket on one of the hooks to hold the chalk.
I purchased the hooks at Hobby Lobby.  They had a huge assortment to choose from.  They also happened to be 50% off so they averaged about $3 each!

I guess we are ready now for school to start.  Not really,  I can't believe we only have 3 weeks left. 
Time flys when your having fun!!!

3 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

Love love your chalboard and hooks! We just painted a big wall in our playroom with chalkboard paint and can't wait to play on it.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Love the mismatched hooks! Looks great!

Traci said...

That turned out really cute! I love the different hooks.